Thursday, December 07, 2006

Kookas

As I'm sure many of you know the kookaburra is one of my most favourite things on earth. There are a couple who live in a tree next to my house, and they've been making quite a racket for the past couple of months. I did some research and it's because it's mating season meaning lots of cooing and ooing. Also, they go off and do their own thing during the day and when they meet up at sundown they always have a big laugh together. They tend to do the same when they wake at dawn, which subsequently wakes me up and, though early is one of the nicest ways to start a day.


Anyway. Yesterday they were hanging out on my balcony, which is a new step, and they had lots of food in their mouth, and there was additional co-oing coming from a tree.. they've had a baby! and I think it's just beginning to find it's feet or wings or what have you. When I woke this morning to lots of garbled laughter I looked outside my bedroom and the little baby was right there..


How ace. I am very lucky. Last year I had baby owls in the reserve which was amazing, but these guys have more personality and are like right in my face.
You can find out more about the laughing kookaburra here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughing_Kookaburra

2 Comments:

Blogger Kuba said...

once we had visitors from the US and they were keen to hear this 'laughing kookaburra' and we went camping and i hunted around and chased up valleys and up mountains and kept missing a really good cackle. disappointed (me and them) we decided to try to find a recording online some other time and went to sleep. at four am, right above us, a chorus of maybe 30 of the beasts laughing, and then me laughing, and then the americans in the other tent laughing, and so forth and so forth for an hour.

1:53 PM  
Blogger steffy_c said...

they certainly have a sense of humour..

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home